This weekend has been a roller coaster of emotions. Through the viewing, funeral, and conference talks that I've experienced, I have been reminded of things that I am truly thankful for. These are things I've always been thankful for, but haven't given near enough thought. And I would like to publicly make these things known.
1. I am SO thankful for the knowledge that I have of what comes after this life. That there is more to come. That through the amazing sealing power of the priesthood, we are able to be reunited with our loved ones after this life. That when we lose those we love, it's not a final goodbye. And that we are never alone. As we walked into the funeral home where the viewing took place Friday night, there was a beautiful statue that greeted us. I walked in and simply stared at it. It was a representation of what happens when we die. And I pictured my beloved, beautiful Grandmother experiencing the same thing as the woman in the statue.

I am very thankful for that.
2. During the viewing, many people came to see my Grandmother. Even a man who worked at Costco, and had seen my grandparents come in every week and helped them with their items. Many people who had only known her for a few months came to pay their respects because she had touched their lives so deeply in only a short amount of time. Words cannot express what an amazing person she was, and how easy it was to love her. I am so very thankful that I was able to know her for all 26 years of my life.

1988 Family Reunion (I am at the bottom left in the blue dress. My grandma is in the back row, purple dress with glasses on)
3. I am thankful for flowers. For how beautiful they are and what they can represent. There were so many beautiful flowers at the funeral, and they brought such a feeling of respect and love, as well as beauty. I know my grandmother would have just loved to see them, to smell the pleasant aromas. They would have brought a big smile to her face, for she loved flowers and nature.

This is my grandmother in 1948 at Capistrano.
These are the flowers I got to keep from the funeral
4. I am thankful for my voice. For as long as I can remember, I have loved to sing. I have enjoyed singing with my sisters throughout our lives. Before my grandmother died, she asked my dad if Anne, Amy and I would sing at her funeral. She wanted us to sing, 'How Great Thou Art' which was one of her very favorite hymns. Amy found a beautiful arrangement of the song, and I got very nervous. I was so afraid I would lose my composure during the song, and start crying. But before we got up to sing, I reminded myself that this was my final gift to my grandmother. A song, sung from the heart, to the best of my ability. We all made it through the song, and then shortly after, the tears began to flow. But I am so thankful that I was able to give my grandmother that one final gift.
5. I am thankful for modern day technology. The technology that can bring the word of the Lord straight from Him, to his apostles, right to my living room! How amazing is that!? So I took a picture of the TV with Elder Holland giving his talk. Because it's just awesome. I can sit here in my pajamas and listen to the things the Lord would have me hear. It also makes it possible for those around the world to hear these words, when they otherwise wouldn't have been able to.
This just makes me happy.
These are just a few of the things I am thankful for. I am also incredibly thankful for good friends that have shown their love and support during this hard time. Above all, I am SO thankful for my wonderful husband, who was a pillar of strength for me during all of this. He is the most amazing person I know, and I am so lucky to be his wife. I am a very blessed girl!
Below is the link to my Grandmother's obituary, which was written by my father. It is beautifully written, and if you would like to read it, please do so.







2 comments:
Ali
This is a beautiful post and so well written. you obviously loved your Grandmother very much.
She does sound like a wonderful lady.
Thinking of you today.
R.
I'll bet you guys did such an awesome job singing at her funeral! How Great Thou Art is one of my absolute favorites - I would have loved to hear it. That statue you showed says it all. I want you to know that I've been thinking about you all week (I even put you on the temple roll :) ) - I hope you're feeling okay with everything.
I totally agree with you about technology and how amazing it is that we can watch the prophet speak in our living rooms. Nothing like church in pajamas, huh?
Post a Comment