CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Overwhelmed and Needing Advice!!

"You can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed??"


So this week I started work in my new office (even though I'm not officially done with training until the 25th). We were told that when we first start, we'll just "shadow" other caseworkers for a couple of months until we kind of get the hang of the job, and then we'll possibly have three or four cases of our own. When I arrived on Tuesday, I was assigned 6 cases!!!

My first task on one of my cases was to attend a very intense court hearing. Shortly after that, I had home visits to go to and all kinds of new situations to experience! I happened to see one of my trainers that first day, and he told me I had the "deer in headlights" look. And I have no doubt that I did.

When I got home on Tuesday, I just cried. I was so stressed out and overwhelmed and scared that I wouldn't be a good caseworker. There is so much I still don't understand, so many policies and laws and even just little tiny things that I don't know, and I do get really scared at times that I'm going to mess up. I hear the horror stories of caseworkers being sent to jail or yelled at by scary judges, etc etc etc, and I just freak out inside (and a little on the outside, too!).

Scottie was simply amazing while I was falling apart at the seams. He comforted me, encouraged me, and reassured me that I could do this. He even did the dishes, cooked dinner and cleaned up the house because he knew that it would cheer me up and relieve some stress. He's such a great husband and I am so lucky!

After yesterday and today I feel a lot better about my abilities and am slightly more confident in this journey I am beginning! Yesterday and today I got to know some of my clients, got more familiar with my cases, and got some time to myself to gather my thoughts and get myself organized. Next week I get a whole day to just organize my office, and get things just the way I want them!!

Which brings me to the actual point of this blog: I need some advice!! I am looking for cute, ergonomic, feng shui-ish ideas for how to decorate my office! I get tired of the same old plant in the corner, picture on the wall and bookshelf full of books no one ever reads. So I am looking for some great ideas for not only decoration, but organization and things that will generate a positive energy flow to decrease stress (because in this line of work, I am REALLY going to need it!)

So please give me any and all ideas you may have for this! I REALLY appreciate it!!!!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Hey Alison - first of all, I KNOW you'll do an awesome job as a caseworker. Seriously, you have a gift for helping people out, while being compassionate and assertive at the same time. It seems like all big career type jobs are really overwhelming at first, but after a couple weeks, you'll be a pro. I guess it's like that old adage, "Do something that scares you everyday" - makes you feel alive, I guess.

Anyway, being the feng-shui expert that I am (ha ha), I have a couple suggestions. If you're trying to relax, stick with a palette of colors that are blue and green, since they're organic and soothing like nature. So if you get any frames or decorative things, try to stick to those colors. The plants do help - you might want to consider getting some bamboo since you get the plant life and the water element (also soothing). Running water is also good feng-shui, but I'm thinking you probably don't want a fountain in your office or on your desk (I've got a funny mental image right now...). Also, stuff that feels good to the touch can help. Have you ever seen those little sandboxes made for a desktop that have a little rake in them? Then you can sit there and comb through the sand. Or (this sounds weird but it's nice!) get a cute ceramic bowl and fill it with uncooked rice and run your hands through it. Ahhhhh...okay, so maybe I'm weird.

And if you REALLY don't care what people think, you should just get a bottle of bubbles (y'know the bottle with the wand that kids like) and blow bubbles when you're stressed out. I read that the action of blowing bubbles like that actually gets your breathing at a more relaxed, calm rate. I mean, imagine trying to blow bubbles with a panicky breath. Not gonna happen. Plus, who doesn't feel a little happy when they revert back to being a kid...

Anyway, really long comment. Sorry, but I miss talking to you. We'll have to re-schedule the BBQ -sorry the last plans didn't work. And if you ever need to vent and Scott needs a break, you know you can always call me! :)

Marci and Matt said...

Hey!! I am so glad that you found my blog! It's always great to catch up with old friends. I haven't seen you FOREVER! I've ran into your parents a few times in the last couple of years... they are awesome! Looks like you are doing great! We are doing great also... just enjoying the everyday life of being a mom of two crazy, hyper, cute as can be boys.
So I was reading your post, and I don't have any decorating advise (because I am the WORST at that)... but one of my good friends works for the DCFS down here so I hear all about it! Don't get down on yourself too much. She says it is the HARDEST job in the world, but the most rewarding. You will be great, and you'll get the hang of it in no time! Good luck! Again, Im so happy to see that you are dong so well!

A. B. said...

I have no advice cause I'm like you and your scrapbook...haha However, I wanted to tell you that I've know you for a very long time, and I KNOW you'll be a really great case worker. Quit being so hard on yourself!! You can do it!